Ultimate ‘Down the line – frontside’ WAVE SAILING Mission
In 2014 I am running 2 x one-week clinics in Psc, Baja, California at the legendary Punta San Carlos (PSC), in association with Solosports. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and just now 2013 went off and were fantastic!!! If you wish to enhance your wave-riding, jumping, surfing, SUPing, MTBing and all-round windsurfing skills at the legendary venue of Baja, then please book early as there are only up to a maximum of 10 places.
Jem Hall Baja Expedition 2010 by Whitey (video)
Jem Hall Baja Expedition 2010 by Clive 'El Toro' Boden (video)
Jem Hall Baja Expedition 2010 by Clive 'El Toro' Boden, starring the Psc Punters (video)
The windsurfing action
During the week I will be assisting you in developing all aspects of your wavesailing. You will improve in your riding through better wave selection, gaining more speed, making more vertical radical turns and improved positional awareness. If you are less experienced in waves then I will demonstrate efficient and safe ways of launching and getting out the back and of course getting you back in safely, then we will work towards better airtime and catching waves more effectively. Baja goes off and we will be sailing at one of the world’s easiest and most consistent beaches for DTL wavesailing. PSC, Baja has season long wind and waves and we scored 6/7 last year and 12/14 for those who went for 2 weeks. I will be coaching through use of simulators, on-water coaching and video coaching. Please feel free to give me feedback on how it is going for YOU at any time so I can give you the best opportunity to develop.
Your windsurfing ability
For this Baja clinic, you should be able to sail a short board competently, and have done plenty of coastal sailing with some experience in waves. Your gybes will be fairly consistent and being able to tack will be a bonus, and you will have sailed in strong winds with total waterstart confidence.
We will be staying at the fantastic Solosports, Baja campsite. Each person gets a deluxe mini-cabin tent fully loaded with pads, pillows and freshly laundered sleeping bags, use of all our toys like surfboards, stand up paddle boards, kayaks, mountain bikes etc, plus unlimited use of all our new windsurf gear, wireless internet, daily hot showers and total use of our game room with TV/DVD, pool table, ping pong, darts, foosball and library! All your food (eating like kings) all your drinks including beer, wine and spirits (they have an outside bar and lounge) are also covered in the price.
2013 Ezzy Elite and Tiger wave sails rigged on Ezzy carbon masts, Goya sails rigged on Goya masts and Streamlined Carbon booms. (£RRP 599!) 2011 - 2013 boards from RRD, Quatro and Goya and they will have some twinzers and quads there. They have over 75 boards from these brands in both older and current models, which are available to the whole camp of 20 people max. You will need a harness, summer steamer wetsuit and boots/shoes, if you so wish.
The social here is made by all the people in the camp and our fine hosts Solosports who are great characters and extremely welcoming and funny. Having a sun downer and reflecting on the possibly one of the best sails of your life is a great feeling and the bar is manned by YOU or anybody who wishes to be bar person that night, drink as much or as little as you like and wind down from a great day in the ocean and / or on the MTB’S.
- Fly in on Friday Aug. 9th (or Aug. 2nd if you are doing the first week of warming up) out of LHR / or relevant airport for an evening late afternoon arrival to San Diego for Clinic one August 10 - 17th
- For Clinic 2 on August 17 - 24th ly in on Friday Aug. 16th (or Aug. 9th if you are doing the first week of warming up) out of LHR / or relevant airport for an evening late afternoon arrival to San Diego
- Sleep in a designated San Diego motel where all SoloSports crew meet
- Minibus to small airport in the am of Sat Aug. 10th or 17th for clinic 2 (or earlier if doing warm up week) to catch small 4 seater planes to arrive in Baja (10 metres from the campsite!) for 1 – 2pm ish and then sail, surf, MTB
- Leave Sat Aug 17th in the afternoon for clinic one, Saturday August 24th for clinic 2
- Sleep in San Diego - a whole night or a few hours. Flight out of San Diego to home on Sunday Aug. 18th for clinic one that normally arrives in Europe on Monday 19th Aug. in the am, Sunday 25th August for clinic 2, with an eta time of Monday August 26th.
Surfing and stand up paddle boarding are world class in PSC, Baja and included in the price. It can be a beautiful start or end to a day and teaches you a great deal about waves.
Awesome Mountain biking with specially built routes and easy to use route cards and guided rides are often available. You can use the centres standard bikes, or you can upgrade to top of the range downhill machines.
More info from Solosports
Jem Hall Baja Expedition 2008 (photo gallery)